Thursday, November 12, 2009

11/9, 11/10 Story Hour

Theme: Leaves

Targeted Early Literacy Skills: Narrative skills (sequencing events, telling stories)

Book: Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson

Flannelboard: 5 Little Leaves

5 little leaves in the autumn breeze tumbled and fluttered from the trees. The first leaf said, “I am red. I shall sleep in the flower bed.” The second leaf, all purple, said, “pick me up, I’m cold and wet!” The third leaf said, I’m yellow, a happy go lucky fellow. The fourth leaf said, I’m green, as I was in the summer sun. The fifth leaf said, I’m brown and I shall blow all over town.

Song: Autumn Leaves (to “Ring Around the Rosie”)

All the leaves, come here

Summer’s gone ‘till next year

Autumn, autumn, we all fall down!

Activity: Scarecrow, Scarecrow

Activity: Add your name to the Thankful Tree

Craft (targets Fine Motor Skills): Paint a leaf. Craft supplies used:

Leaves from Discount School Supply

Liquid Watercolors (could also substitute water with food coloring)

Plastic Eye Droppers

For Further Reading:

Arthur Jumps into Fall by Marc Brown (E)

The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall (E)

Fall, Leaves Fall! by Zoe Hall (E)

Fall Leaf Project by Margaret McNamara (E)

Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert (E)

Try at Home:

· Take a nature walk and collect leaves, acorns and seeds. Make artwork with them when you get home!