Wednesday, October 21, 2009

9/28, 9/29 Story Hour


Theme: Fire Trucks
Targeted Early Literacy Skill: Vocabulary
Book: Firebears, the Rescue Team by Rhonda Greene
Fingerplays: Fireman Number 8
"Fireman, fireman, number 8 (make 8 with hands).
Bumped his head upon the gate (tap head).
The gate swung in (prayer hands swing one way),
the gate swung out (prayer hands swing the opposite way).
And that's how they put the fire out (swing hands back and forth quickly).
Emergency, emergency, 911! (repeat 3 times while stomping feet to the beat)"
Song: I’m a Firefighter
"I'm a firefighter, here's my hose. (extend arm out)
I put out fires as everyone knows. (tap head with finger)
When I see a fire, I put it out. (arm out, wiggle fingers)
'Thank you! Thank you!' people shout." (clap to the beat)
Activity: Stop, Drop, and Roll
Craft: Fireman Dress Up using fire cheif badges and hats.

We loved our visit with the Meade County Fire Department! Kids tried on fireman clothes, learned about the equipment, and climbed aboard the fire engine!